Hawks Hunt German Shepherds represent the breeding program of Suzanne Clothier, internationally respected trainer and author. A small breeding program with usually just one litter per year, our dogs reflect the hard work, attention & expertise of more than 25 years we bring to breeding in order to offer the best all-round dog we know how to produce. We strive for unflappable dogs with excellent judgment & stable temperament.
The Enriched Puppy Protocoltm (EPP) is the way we raise our puppies. Far past our small breeding program, EPP has proven itself in the puppy raising programs at Guiding Eyes for the Blind and Fidelco Guide Dog Foundation, as well as helping private breeders maximize their puppies' potential.
Puppies are socialized from the moment they are born. EPP provides age appropriate stimulation and challenges to develop their minds and their bodies. Raised in our home, on our farm, puppies receive intense amounts of human contact, and grow up in an enriched environment to maximize their neuro-muscular development. The result is a coordinated, connected, competent and confident puppy.
- Puppies are crate trained, leash broken and started with training before they leave our home. Their athletic ability is carefully & deliberately developed through indoor & outdoor challenges from an early age.
- Working ability & sound structure. We do not breed for the breed ring - we breed a correctly structured dog who is extremely athletic, coordinated and able to work. Accompanying a sound body is incredible intelligence and desire to work - however, we do not breed dogs with excessive drive that are difficult to live with. First & foremost, these are companion animals, and no matter how brilliant, you still have to live with them! However, these are not German Shepherds that are usually well suited to the first time GSD owner as they can be very intelligent, persistent and active; experienced GSD owners preferred.
- Beauty & nobility. While trying to breed sound dogs, we have not sacrificed the beauty or nobility of a proper German Shepherd. These are not just great dogs - they're also truly beautiful & kind!
- Sound bodies & excellent health. As any GSD lover knows, this is a breed plagued with many health problems. While we don't breed perfect dogs, we try hard to minimize health problems, and have produced only a few. Our breeding dogs are OFA certified for hips, elbow.
- Unlike most breeders, we will tell you exactly what health problems we have had in the past, and stand behind our dogs 100%. Our all-natural diet (homemade for 25 years) may be the key to our good luck in this area. We encourage puppy buyers to feed naturally!
- Longevity is a difficult thing to breed for, but here's the proof that we're on the right track. In late May 2004, we lost our beloved Hawks Hunt's Carson at 2 months shy of 15 years old. Her sire, Bear, was also nearly 15 when he died. It was and once again is an amazing thing to have 4 generations in the house with Carson and her kids, grandkids and great-grandkids! Otter was the "great-grandma" dog, with her kids, grandkids & great-grandkids here. She turned 15 in March 2009, and died in July 2009. However, we have had dogs who did not live that long. 12-14 years seems to be the typical lifespan for our lines.
These are dogs who can do what you ask of them. Our dogs have been nationally ranked in obedience & agility, and have been successful in Search & Rescue, therapy work, herding, tracking, and are part of the breeding program of several guide dog schools in the US and internationally. Let us know what you hope to do with your GSD, and we'll match you with the pup that can grow into that expectation.
We are extremely picky about where our pups go, but are proud to say that they are scattered coast to coast and in guide schools in the US, Holland and Spain. Raised in our home with all our other dogs & animals, these dogs are bred to be companions & house dogs, not a kennel or outside dog. Prospective buyers are carefully screened, and references are checked thoroughly. Puppies are selected for each owner based on our in-depth knowledge of each puppy. We will NOT sell you a puppy who does not or cannot meet your requirements.
OUR NEXT LITTERS
SPRING 2013: Hawks Hunt's Triple Mambo NW1, ARCHX, CDSP-CD (aka "ChaCha"), co-owned with Nancy Reyes of For Your K9 in Chicago, will be bred to Hunter vom Wildhaus NA, NAJ, NF, NW1, OFA Good (aka "Journey"). Folks in the Chicago area may remember ChaCha from her multiple appearances & demos at the Chicago International Kennel Club - something she started back as a 1 year old. As the pictures here show, ChaCha is a natural show off and loves working the crowd. She's also a natural therapy dog who adores kids, as seen with 4 of her young fans. Journey is shown here in fine form on the agility field. Click on his photo or here for more at the Wildhaus Kennels page.
We are very excited about this breeding of two solid dogs who take it all in stride, learn like lightning, and make people everywhere they go say "Wow they are beautiful! and so NICE!" These are good ambassadors for the breed, and we're sure their offspring will continue the Hawks Hunt tradition of truly balanced dogs. Thanks, Chris, at Wildhaus, for working with us. This litter will be raised in Chicago by Nancy using Suzanne's Enriched Puppy Protocol. Knowing how many folks are anxiously awaiting their arrival, these pups will be socialized beyond well! (Photos of ChaCha courtesy Nancy Reyes; photo of Journey courtesy of Wildhaus Kennels & Chris Wild)
SUMMER 2013: We'll be breeding Spider this summer, with the plan to go back to Dagger for another round of excellence. See Spider and other Hawks Hunt dogs here. These pups will be the litter featured in the Enriched Puppy DVD being filmed summer 2013.
While we have a waiting list for the ChaCha & Spider kids, we are accepting applications from interested puppy buyers. No crystal ball tells us how many pups we may have!
In mid-June 2012, we bred SPIDER to Dagger de Bellator, at stud with Stalworth Kennels. This is one rock solid stable boy with tremendous working ability. Intense but mentally and emotionally sound, Dagger is also very sweet. I spent several happy hours watching him playing with puppies, other dogs and small children. Originally intended as a Schutzhund World Team dog, an injury during training ended his competitive career. Spider gave us four Dagger kids, all of whom are doing great in their homes.
INTERESTED IN A HAWKS HUNT GSD? Please be aware that our dogs are usually not suitable for first time GSD owners (unless you have owned other strong working breeds). If interested in being considered for one of our pups, you must fill out our Puppy Buyer's Questionnaire. We will not discuss puppies, prices or our dogs until we have received this questionnaire!
SOME PHOTOS of our dogs can be found here. At the moment, the hundreds of pics we have of our gorgeous Hawks Hunt dogs doing all kinds of things are not available on this website --- sorry! We'll eventually get the pics reinstalled. For now, visit the SmugMug collection for a glimpse of our dogs.